These are things God has done. These are Redemption Stories.

Wednesday, 8 February 2012

Redemption Story #12 - Breaking Point

My redemption story is the simple truth: God’s love is the greatest love.

I dated someone for almost 3 years. We got along great, both went to church, both liked the same things, got along with each other’s families. But eventually, I found myself stuck in an unhealthy relationship – we were stuck in an unhealthy relationship. What we did, and what we didn’t do, affected everything in our secluded circle of “happiness”.

We were not glorifying God with our relationship. In both of our “Christian hearts” we wanted to (and thought we were) but were definitely not. We got lost in spending more time with each other and ignoring God completely while continuing an unbreakable routine of fight, make-up, make-out. We did not read the Bible together, attend church together, or pray together; we were not building our “love” with God’s love.

In 1 Corinthians 13:4-7, the greatest love (and the only love) is described:

“Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.”

I have read and re-read this particular passage MANY times. For the first time in our 3 year relationship, I actually sat myself down and realized… we were never patient, never kind, always jealous, always proud, always dishonoring, always self-seeking, always angry, always bringing up past arguments.

1 Corinthians 4:8 says this: “Love never fails”.

But our “love” had. Our love was not love. We were not happy. I recognized that we had failed. I had to trust God, and I had to trust that He had that love for me and for my partner. God brought the relationship to an end for a very important reason: We both, individually, needed to seek God and find redemption in our lives. We needed to seek God’s love before pursuing love in someone else.

One day I was on a break at work. It was rainy, I was gloomy, I was still waiting for my “redemption story”. I was upset with my life and the path it decided to take and the path it was on now. I tore out my Bible, flipped it open and there it was:

“You are my God, and I will praise You;
You are my God, and I will exalt You.
Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good;
His love endures forever.”
- Psalm 118:28-29

I broke into tears, knowing I had forgotten about a God who loves me despite my stupid mistakes. I forgot Him, but He loved me all the while. I’m forgiven; He doesn’t keep a record of wrongs! HIS love endures forever. Not mine. Not my partner’s. Not my “BFF’s”. God’s. From that moment, I knew what God wanted in my life. He wanted me to build all relationships, romantic or not, on His solid, trusting, and loving foundation. His love never, ever fails.

“You stay the same through the ages,
Your love never changes,
There may be pain in the night, but joy comes in the morning,
And when the oceans rage I don't have to be afraid, Because I know that You love me,
Your love never fails”

No comments:

Post a Comment