These are things God has done. These are Redemption Stories.

Tuesday, 22 November 2011

Redemption Story #2 - Broken

I sat and I wondered for so long since this challenge was brought forth to me: “what is my redemption story”? I mean, of course God has done lots in my life, so I tried to look for “the perfect story”. But one ugly part of my life kept coming up over and over each time I think about this, so here we go: 
 
Almost 3 years ago, my life completely changed as I knew it. I grew up in a great home where things were great. I honestly could not have asked for anything more. I had awesome and loving parents and two fun, loving, awesome brothers. 


I came home one day after school to find all of the locks changed and my mom coming to the door saying that her and my dad were getting a divorce. The news completely side swept me. I did not even see that it was coming. I was in such a daze for months because of this new life that I was going to have to readjust to, my dreams were shattered, and I was broken. 


I was in my first year of university and school was incredibly busy, so I used school as a distraction to get through this time period. I had kept myself too busy to even realize my true emotions that were coming out and those that were being portrayed in my life. 


I was angry. So incredibly angry that my life could literally be shattered in 2 seconds when my mom had said those few words that day. My relationship with my family, friends, and most importantly God were spiraling downwards. 


As a result of my anger, rebellion started to come forth I made some not so wise decisions with my life. These rebellious moments did not last for long before God started His work. 


I honestly cannot say that there was one pivotal moment where God started to change me, but there were multiple factors over a number of weeks and months that He worked in my heart and changed it.  He planted seeds with classmates, church sermons, and my close friends to sow in my heart. 


Since then, my heart has been molded into that which is more Christ like. God mended my brokenness. He put a peace to my anger. I realized that through it all, God never left me. He always had left a way to get to Him, I just had to find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment